Wednesday, August 17, 2005

First Days in Florence

July 12:

Well, I have been in Florence now for a day and a half and I have an entire day left here. I really like Florence. It isn’t so much of a big city as Rome is in that there are less cars and less scooters to potentially kill you. We had some trouble finding our hotel because the buss system here is a little different and we got on the wrong bus going the opposite direction but eventually it went in the right direction. The first night here (Sunday), James and I went to walk the city and get something to eat. We ended up running into a free music festival. The band that night was really cool. It was a mix of a lot of different instruments and singers.

Yesterday, I went off by myself to explore the city. I wanted to go to two museums but they ended up being closed for Monday. I did get to see the Duomo and Ponte Vecchio. I got to Ponte Vecchio when they were opening all of the jewelry stores. It was really neat to see that. As I had read, when they open these stores on the bridge, it looks like jewelry boxes being opened. Last night, James and I went to go to a jazz club but instead just ended up going to the music festival again. The band last night was pretty good but not as good as the first nights band.

My plans for the day are pretty simple. I am just going to go the two museums that I missed, find something to get for the last person on my list (Sis, you are really hard to shop for!!), and then maybe just walk around people watch and get something for me considering I haven’t gotten anything for me this trip.