Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Last Days

July 17:

Today was my day to say good-bye to the southern part of Rome. I took the entire day to see the city center. Besides seeing the sights that I have already seen once or twice, I finally saw a few that I had missed. I finally got to sit down and soak in the Trevi Fountain. It was interesting there to say the least.

While at the Trevi Fountain….well, it is important to preface this with the fact that the Trevi Fountain is the largest fountain in Rome and the most popular. You are supposed to throw a coin over you left shoulder into the fountain to guarantee a return trip to Rome, which is one of the reasons I saved the fountain until last and went today….Anyways, there was this lady there (kind of a gypsy) with a pole that had a magnetic tip. I watched here go all the way around the fountain picking out all of the fifty, one Euro, and Two Euro pieces out of the fountain. I don’t know about you but that kind of makes me mad. To me, the money is more that just money when thrown into a fountain but more like a wish or a dream of someone’s. Besides that it was great!!

I finally saw the Baths of Caracalla, which while amazingly big were not as great as I hoped they would be. After seeing the baths, I took a long nap in the Aventine Park (another place I hadn’t been yet). Later, I decided that I would regret not forking over the 10 Euros to get into the Coliseum to see it. And, while 10 Euros is a lot of money, it was really great to see and I am glad that I did it. Plus, the ticket also let me go back to the Palentine Hill and see that again. I saw a lot of other things today too such as the Spanish steps and many other monuments.

Oh, I almost forgot to tell you all this story. I got some gelato today and was sitting in a park when I pretty much got propositioned. Now, some of you are probably asking what did she look like….well, French and not a woman but a man. Italian and French men are really weird. Matt really got hit on one day while we were here and I have been hit on (not as bad as today) before too. This French guy walked up on me and asked if I spoke Italian, French, or English. I told him English. He then proceeded to ask me if I was alone and if I was, it would be “no problem” for him to hangout with me all day in Rome. Interesting story to say the least…

Tomorrow will be a busy day. I want to go see the northern parts of Rome again and other things up north that I haven’t seen yet such as the Milvian Bridge. For those of you who don’t know, the Milvian Bridge is a really famous bridge. According to Constantine, it was at the Battle of the Milvian Bridge that he say the Chi Rho in the sky which led him to victory and to convert to Christianity. After which, Constantine officially changed the official religion of the Roman Empire to Christianity. Well, the original bridge was destroyed during the battle but parts of the old bridge were used and Constantine built a new bridge in its place. This bridge is still there so I am going to go see it. On top of seeing everything, I have to pick up my luggage that I have stored and get them back to my hotel and then pack….all in all this means that I have a lot to do on my last day in Rome.

Speaking of it being my last day, CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT I AM ALMOST DONE WITH MY TIME HERE!!!! I never could imagine myself even actually going through with all of this let alone almost being done with it. It was really surreal to walk around Rome today because while I am excited to be going home, I really love Rome and will miss it.

Well, it is off to bed for me. Have a good day everyone and this will probably be my last post before I get home. I am getting home late Tuesday so if everyone will be able to get a hold of me by the end of this week. See you and hear from you all soon….ciao