Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Florence, Venice, and Como

July 14:

I really liked Florence. I did accomplish my plans for the day that I previously posted about. James and I went and saw the David in the morning. The line is long, but what line isn’t. However, while standing in line, we started talking to a couple in the late twenties or early thirties from New York. They were really nice. The wife was a third grade teacher and her husband was a consultant. We talked about New York, being a lawyer, and Europe. It helped the time go by pretty fast. Waiting to see the David was well worth it. There really isn’t much in the museum (there are some really great paintings) but the David is worth paying to see. The statue dominates the room once you walk into it. To look at it and think that it was carved out of one solid piece of marble that Michelangelo found in the piazza that he found it in, is simply amazing.

Later that day, after paying a lot (and I mean a lot!!!), for some gelato, I went to the Ufizzi museum. The line for this one was even worse than for the David. It took me over two hours to get in and while the museum was neat, it wasn’t the best that I have been in but at least I saw it. That night James and I went to dinner to, I guess, celebrate my birthday. We decided to go to this one that is off the beaten path, reasoning that it is one that all the locals go to. Well, when we thought locals, we didn’t picture Italian mob. Yep, the Italian mob. Now, I know that you are thinking that I am exaggerating about the place being owned by the Italian mob but I’m not. There is no doubt that it was the Italian mob. Besides that, the food was good but I did get sick from the wild boar that I had which caused me to call it an early night after spending a little while at the outdoor concert.

The next day (Thursday the 13), we headed off to Venice. After a little trouble finding the hotel, we unpacked an headed off to the actual town of Venice (we actually didn’t stay in Venice but a small town near by). Venice was amazing but James has started to get on my nerves. It seems like everything is about him. The days center around what he wants to do and when he wants to do. However, I did manage to see most of the things I wanted to see like the Piazza San Marco and Ponte dei Rialto.

Getting back to the hotel was an adventure. We got on the right bus and started heading home. James had the directions about what stop to get off. We passed two stops that I told him we should get off at because they were close to our hotel but he insisted that we hadn’t reached the right stop yet. Forty minutes later and 10 to 12 miles out of our way, we decided to get off the bus and walk back to the hotel. It took us about two and half hours to walk back to the bus stop that we should have gotten off at and than another ten from there to get to our hotel. However, while it was a long walk, it was nice to see the countryside of Italy and all the small towns that we had to walk through.

This morning we headed off to Como. The traveling and getting to Como went off without any hitches. It was what happened when we got here that has put me in a bad mood and wanting to be home. It took us a really long time to find a person to help us know what bus to take and than about an hour and a half before the bus driver of the bus we had to take to get off his break. But besides the waiting, it wasn’t bad. We got to the cable car to take us to the top of the mountain where out hotel is located when things went bad.

I was standing in line to get tickets when James started walking off to go do his own thing. James likes to do things at his own pace even if that means getting to places late or cutting things really close. He also doesn’t like to plan things out as shown by the fact that he is going to wing his last two weeks here without any train or hotel reservations. Well, he took off to go find an ATM to get money. The cable car was about to take off and I asked him where he was going. He got all pissed off and a fight ensued. He accused me of controlling the entire trip i.e. always having the directions and the tickets and such. A lot of things were said that just put me in a bad mood because everything thing he said was just not true and hinted that he just didn’t like hanging out with me except to help split the bills.

Note:
-The only reason I had the directions and the tickets was because I took the incentive to f@#$ing buy the tickets and find our hotels. If it were up to him, we would show up to the train station try to get onto the train and then spend most of our time walking around trying to find a place to stay. And he had the directions to the two hotels he paid for with his credit card (Venice and Como).

This as just put me in a bad mood but I am not going to allow this ruin my time in Como. If I have to go do things and eat by myself from now on then that is fine. We part ways on Saturday anyways. Well, I did say that I wanted this blog to chronicle my ups and downs while in Italy….this is one of my downs.

I hope all of you are having a great time and I can’t wait to see you and talk to you all again.