Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Adventures in Como

July 16:

Things got better with James after I wrote the last post. We got up in morning to eat breakfast and than to go to Bellagio and see the rest of Lake Como. However, it turns out that like the rest of Italy, the public transportation system in Como likes to strike whenever they feel like it. And unfortunately, they decided to strike the day we were there. The buses, boats, and even the cable car down from the mountain were closed. James and I had to walk down Mount Brunate just to get to Como.

In Como, we walked around and looked at some shops. Como is known for its silk industry. Supposedly, Como has the best silk manufacturers in the world and the top designers get their silk from here. After looking around the town for a while, we decided to see if we could just rent a car or scooters so that we could see the lake, but no luck. Instead, we ended up laying on the walls bordering the lake soaking up some sun. Therefore, I really didn’t get to see much of Lake Como and didn’t get to see the parts of it that I wanted to and was looking forward to seeing. But that is just one thing I have come to expect and deal with from Italians.

That night, James and I ate dinner at our hotel which has a really good restaurant. We decided to order a meal that allowed us to get an appetizer, first dish, second dish, wine, water, and coffee. The meal started off a little different. The appetizer was full fished, not anchovies but similar. Needless to say it was weird trying to eat whole fish, bones and all, but I at least ate half of them. However, the first dish (risotto with sausage) and the second dish (veal stew) were absolutely amazing.

Today was a travel day. James and I parted ways (James went up to Switzerland and I went back down to Rome). The day went really smoothly. There were really no major troubles traveling and I got to my hotel in Rome and am now just sitting in my bed. However, I am really hungry. I have only have had breakfast today. With traveling on the trains and waiting for buses, I didn’t have time to eat. I figured that I could find a place near my hotel or in my hotel but there are no restaurants or even stores near the hotel and the restaurant here requires reservations. I about just ordered room service but when I call they weren’t taking orders right then, which I took as a sign that I should probably just go to bed.

I’m looking forward for tomorrow. It should be a really good day. I’m going to try to see the rest of Rome that I just didn’t get a chance to see very well when I was here for school. At the same time, it is really hard to believe that I only have two full days left here. The time went by fast but at the same time seems like I have been here forever (if that makes any sense at all). Well, it is time to balance my budget and to get to bed.