Tuesday, June 21, 2005

My Weekend

Sorry for not posting yesterday. It ended up being a long day and I just didn't get time to sit down and type a post.

I finally got to see a lot of Rome this past weekend. On Friday night, I went back to the Vatican and took pictures. I ended up getting rained on again so I don't know how good the pictures are going to be because there were a lot of clouds in the sky. On Saturday, I walked around Rome by myself all day. I went a lot of different places from Compo di Fiori, to Piazza Novono, to the Pantheon. I have already posted some of these pictures below. All in all it was a really good day. I got to see most of all of the final things that I wanted to see in Rome while I was here. There are still a few things that I still have to see but now I know that I will get the chance and time to see them. Oh, I finally tried gelotto on Saturday. I have to admit, that it didn't live up to the hype that was built up about it; however, it still was really really good.

While I was walking around Rome, my roommates went to the beach for the day. So when they got back, we went to a nice dinner. While there, our fourth roommate who has been hanging out with us a little more came and a two of his friends came with him. It ended up being a good dinner....expensive, but good. After dinner, we ended up hanging out on our deck for hours until we finally decided and Steve, my fourth roommate, got more of his friends willing to go out. A bunch of us ended up going to a club. We didn't leave our apartment to go until one in the morning. The club was a very very long ways away. We went to a disco tech club called the Zoo Bar. It was extremely fun. We danced and drank for about two hours and then we decided to head home. By this time our group had gotten separated and it was just my roommates and I trying to catch a taxi. Trying to get a taxi was extremely hard. We were so far south of the city that not many were coming and most of them were already occupied when they drove by. We ended up standing around and walking around for hours until I finally got a cab for everyone. By this time, I had seen the sunrise in Rome for the first time. We didn't get back to the apartment until six thirty.

Needless to say, Sunday consisted of sleeping and reading for class on Monday. However, my roommates went out again Sunday night to a free concert with some really big named bands playing. I didn't go with them, however, because I was getting up early so I could make it to the Vatican Museum.

So Monday morning, I go up early and got to the Vatican Museum a little less than an hour before it opened and the line to get in was already so long that I was about a half of a mile, literally, back from the entrance. Some of the rudest people I have ever met and have met in Rome were in that line and they were al tourists. People were cutting, pushing, and talking rudely about people. It was kind of funny at times because some people didn't think I spoke English and would be like, "Get in front of this guy" or "Make sure he doesn't cut in front of you." It made me laugh because I was just keeping my place in line and these people were fighting to get a foot ahead of me when there was about a thousand people in front of them. However, once the museum opened, the line moved really quickly. This ended up being a good and bad thing. It was good because I got into the museum rather quickly. It was a bad thing because that meant all of those people in front of me and behind me were in the museum at the same time. This made the museum unbelievably crowded. My favorite parts of the museum was the early Christian paintings 1) because they were really beautiful and 2) because they were no were near or along the way to the Sistine Chapel so there weren't too many people there. You see, the only way to go see the Chapel is to go through the museum and so most of the people just run through the rest of the museum to go see it. The tour groups were the worst because about thirty to fifty people including their tour guide would push you out of the way when you were looking at a painting or a statue so they could quickly look at it and move on. I spent about four hours in the museum and like all the museum tours ended up in the Sistine Chapel. To tell the truth, the paintings were really beautiful but the Chapel itself was less than what I thought it would be. This is probably because it was wall to wall people.

Anyways, the museum had its pros and cons but it was still a great time. After that, I went to class and than just relaxed that night because I didn't have any readings to do for today. Well, I think that catches everyone up on what I have been doing down here.